Saturday, June 30, 2012

Blog Swap and Hop!

Welcome everyone to our Blog Swap and Hop! I know you will love Sarah's post and her super cute freebie! I'm posting over at Mary's blog today, Sharing Kindergarten.  After you are done here, please hop on over to my post and grab your Monster Math Freebie :)  Then hop through the rest of the guest posts by clicking on all the links on the bottom of this post! Have fun!!
 
Hi! It is Sarah from Kindergarten Korner. I am so excited to be participating in the Blog Swap and Hop and to have the opportunity to guest post on Caitlin's blog! This is my first guest blog post!!! :)


Kindergarten Korner
 

Let me start off by saying I am not a artist!!! I often draw pictures in class and I always start the year with "Don't make fun of Mrs. Shelton's drawings" because I know that it is not my thing. All of my pictures are very "kindergarten" looking! :)


Do you ever have babies that still draw their people like this? If you teach preschool, you are probably thinking "yes" and that is good! I, however teach Kindergarten and want a little more from them in their illustrations of people.
I often have 5-6 kiddos still draw people in this manner when school starts. While I think it is very cute, we do a lot of talk about how to draw people. We discuss our body parts and what to include in our pictures of people. I still allow the students to be creative in their drawings, however I also try to guide them to make their people look more like people and less like aliens. I have these 2 posters that I use in my classroom to begin to teach students to draw people.



I begin using these around October. After this is mastered, we talk about adding necks and actual arms and hands (instead of just lines). They love adding their SPARKLE (hair, eyes, colored clothing, etc.) You can click on the posters above to grab your FREE copy of these posters! Please note that I often have a lot of kiddos who do a great job of drawing people and I allow them to continue to explore this and draw people as they see them. This is for those sweet babies who still draw aliens! :) I hope you are able to use these in your classroom when encouraging and assisting students in the drawing process.

Please come visit me at my blog (and follow me while you are there). I just posted a new unit in my TPT store called Alphabet Beginning Sounds where students gets lots of practice drawing objects that begin with the letter of the alphabet you are teaching!

Oh. And while you are there....I have a FABULOUS giveaway going on (where Caitlin is giving away one of her AWESOME units). Just sayin'.  Thanks again Caitlin for allowing me to guest post!

8 comments:

  1. Your posters are perfect!!!! I can't wait to print them out and use them in my classroom next year. I also love the idea of adding "the sparkle" I am totally going to start using that term in my class.
    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love your stick figure posters! They're going up on my white board for sure.
    _Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!! Even in 2nd some kiddos still drew little alien people!! lol!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is great that you use those posters to model the process of drawing people. Children like to draw, but sometimes feel like they don't know how. I love that you break down the process for them.

    ✿April✿
    Grade School Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those posters on how to draw a person! Just add sparkle is so cute too!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this blog hop! I am your newest follower. I taught kindergarten for 16 years and still use much of those same concepts while teaching 2nd.

    Cynthia
    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the adorable posters! I love them. We also try to talk to our kinders about making their drawings look realistic. We talk about how everybody has hair and ears, etc. I constantly tell them that I don't want "naked" people which cracks them up and then they go back and put clothes on them!

    I will definitely use this. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your posters! Is there anyway you could give me some info on how to get started - I am a kindergarten special ed teacher in NJ and would love to put some of my ideas into pdf's with cute graphics but am not sure how. Any help in getting me started would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete