At my school we really can't hang things from the ceiling. They say its because of fire codes and because it may let off the alarms (or something like that!). But, I HAD to have pom-poms in my classroom library!! So I figured I could get away with a couple small ones :) I decided to make mine out of tulle instead of paper. I was just thinking that the paper ones would fade with the lighting in my room and collect dust, blah blah. The tulle was actually only $2 a yard at Jo-Ann Fabrics and you only need a yard for each pom-pom. I bought 2 yards of one color just because I wanted one a little bigger.
You'll have to ignore the messy book bins they weren't done yet when I took this pic :)
I like how they came out. They are small, but they still work! I tried to take pictures as I was making these in case you were interested, but I kept getting distracted and skipped some steps!
Hopefully this will all make sense:
1. Trace circles onto cardboard or poster board of various sizes depending on the size you want your pom-poms.
2. Cut all your circles out
3. Place 2 circles of the same size on top of each other
4. Have your tulle cut into strips (about 3 inches wide) and start wrapping the tulle through the middle of your circle. Each time one strip runs out, just use another strip and cover the piece that you finished with (does that make sense? haha)
5. When you are finished tuck the last piece under another piece of tulle
6. Turn your circle onto its side. Take scissors and cut the tulle apart where the 2 cardboard circles meet (this is where I forgot to take pictures)
7. Your tulle is cut and you can start pulling the cardboard apart. Don't pull it all the way. Before you pull it apart, take a piece of string and tie a knot around the middle of your pom-pom. This will keep the pom-pom together. After you tie the knot then you can finish pulling off the card board.
Wa-La! Then you are finished!! :)
Before I left my classroom on Thursday, I decided to just empty out my entire desk and all of these drawers...
into one big mess...