Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Penguin Fun!

Sometimes in the morning when that very first bell rings and it is time to let my students into the classroom, I am thinking, 'Really? It is already 7:55?!' But, how sweet is it when you open the door and all the children have huge smiles on their faces, they are excited for school, and they are all bearing hugs! This morning I received the sweetest little gift. One of my girls made me my very own lunch bag! I fell in love with this! I put my mac & cheese and diet coke inside right away! Is there anyway I can laminate this and save it for daily use ;)



We are currently in our second week of learning about penguins! The children have already gained SO much knowledge, it's incredible! To hear them using the words regurgitate, tobogganing, fledglings, etc in their daily vocabulary is awesome!

We have been working very hard on reading/quickly recognizing our numbers 11-20 in ten frames. The students' played Penguin Party at one of their centers. If the students were able to read the number, ten-frame, or number word, then they could keep their card. When they were finished playing, they had to record some of the numbers that they knew. A couple of my students are still working with a number line to write their numbers correctly.




We are also working on addition. In the morning we discussed penguin enemies, so for centers they worked on Sneaky Seal Addition! They had to complete the addition sentence before the seal attacked! ;)

My students are becoming experts now on writing their CVC words
They are also ALL reading their color words and number words independently. In this center, students had to follow the directions to color the penguins in correctly.
We are continuing our penguin unit throughout next week--we decided to extend it because we are having too much fun!! Next Friday we are going to wrap up our unit with a Penguin Party!! We will be having penguin egg races, making a yummy penguin cooking activity, watching a penguin movie, and lots more! I am excited!

10 comments:

  1. That lunch bag is too precious! I love student gifts!

    Your penguin ideas look like so much fun! Penguins are my favorite theme to teach! The kinders really just soak it all up!

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute Caitlin! I was talking to my teaching partner about your last fun penguin post. Not sure how I'd still be able to fit in a penguin unit this year, but I might just have to plan one for next winter. Isn't it fun how kindergarteners just LOVE non-fiction???

    Jill
    abcs and polkadots

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a Penguin Party - how fun :) We just finished penguins and regurgitation got them laughing every time!

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you talked about the Penguin Party. We are starting our penguin unit next week and we will carry it on for two or three weeks. I LOVE your penguin unit!!!! It is wonderful!!! Oh, you can laminate the bag and use a exacto knife to cut the top open. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your activities! We were going to finish up this week too, but the kids are truly having so much fun with it and there are about a million more penguin things that we can do still, so I'm going to carry it over to next week. I love the idea of a penguin party. I'm going to have to do that with my littles, they will be so excited! Thanks for sharing your always amazing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cute! Don't you love when you can make your thematic units come to life and incorporate it in all aspects of learning! I'm your newest follower and a fellow teacher in South Florida!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww-what a cute lunchbag! Such a thoughtful gift.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought your Penguins unit. Everything looks so great! I can't wait to use it in my classroom this week. Thanks so much!

    Yeehaw! Teaching in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your articles.. they are very interesting..
    Regards,
    Preschool In Pune

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling blog! I have a daughter who is in Kindergarten and I know that she would just love all of these cute games!Glad to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete