Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fight for Your Write!

I joined BIC in the Fight For Your Write campaign.  It is an awesome mission to save handwriting! BIC strongly agrees that writing is an important tool for communication and helps promote individuality. Writing is also a critical learning tool and helps kids become better readers, boosts their confidence, and so much more!
I tested out some of BIC's new products and I have fallen in love with them!
I've been writing all of my lesson plans with the BIC Atlantis Ball Pen....I love it! It is the most comfortable pen to grip and this pen writes so smooth and doesn't smudge at all!! I actually attached a little bow to the top of it so no one would accidentally take this pen from my room, haha!
I have a couple little ones who have a poor pencil grip. We are working so hard on 'pinching the pencil'.
 Last year I fell in love with these BIC kids mechanical pencils that are made for proper finger position. The pencils have a built in line (yellow) that sticks out of the pencil.  It is easy for kids to be reminded to 'pinch the yellow'.  Plus, the lead in this pencil is so thick, that it won't break. As you can see above and below, there definitely is a different between the two grips (with the same child) using different pencils.  We are getting there!
 I also have these BIC Xtra-Craze pencils. They are mechanical pencils as well.  These write hard, making it easy for me to read children's letters, and there is enough lead in each one to equal 2 and a half wood case pencils.  I always choose one or two 'awesome illustrators' to use these pencils.  It gives the students a little more of an incentive to draw and color nicely during writing time. 
 I also have their Xtra-Fun pencils, the kids LOVE the colors on these pencils! They are so excited when I let them use these.
My favorite new BIC product I saved for last...
They have this awesome new highlighter that is erasable! We use highlighters every week to highlight our sight words in our poem(s). Occasionally students will highlight the wrong words; for instance, our word this week was 'white' and a lot of students also highlighted the word 'with'. Thank goodness for our new erasable highlighters!! 
 Make sure to stop by BIC Fight For Your Write and sign the pledge to save handwriting! You may be able to receive some tips and tools too!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin!
    Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I too think handwriting is very important. I signed the pledge. Also, did you have a chance to find the Q-tip ideas using the apples. Just wondering if you have it for sale at TPT. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!
    Maryann
    brennemm@carlisleschools.org

    ReplyDelete