Wednesday, July 11, 2012

KD5 Book Study: Chapter 5

I am a little behind on my Daily 5 reading! Time seems to fly when you are up in the mountains :) So I never linked up last week! Oopsy daisy!! I wish I was able to get into my classroom and take pictures to make this post a little easier, but I will do my best with trying to describe how my centers are set up! Bare with me!! ;)

Listen to Reading

1. How will you instill the importance (or urgency) of 'listening to reading' in your students and especially those students who have had little 'lap time' or reading done for them in their own homes?
My students have always loved listening to reading. I also give them book options that relate to the theme we are learning-All my books on c.d. are at the center; however, I put the books that go along with what we are learning in a special bin on top of the table. These always seem to be the books they choose!
2. What devices or strategies are you going to use to conduct listen to reading? Will you use a community recording device with one cd and several earphones, individual cd players, tape recorders, ipod-type devices or computers? 
My listening center is this...
from Lakeshore Learning
I love it! The wireless headphones allow the kids to spread out a little. They don't work all the way across the room but they do allow them some movement. I have cushions, chair, and a carpet all near by that they can use. I also have 2 laptops and 2 desktops that children will be using for this center. Our school uses a reading program online that is required, so this is the perfect time to fit this in!
3. What expectations will you have for your students during 'listen to reading' and how will you keep them on task and independent instead of needing your assistance when they can't manage devices?
I teach my students how to use the c.d. player over, and over again. This way I won't have any questions about it. But, I also have a technology helper (as one of my class jobs) and if a student is having trouble they can always ask the tech. helper! :) All my materials for this center are right at the center and students really don't need to go anywhere for anything!
4. Do you have enough 'listening to reading' type materials? If not, what ideas do you have for securing these materials? Where will you store them? How will your students retrieve these items? Where will they be used (will there be a designated spot in your class for listening to reading or will it be their choice?
I have TONS of books on c.d.'s. This is where all my Scholastic points go! I tape the cd case into the cover of one of the books (I try to have at least 3 of each book for students to use). Then the books go into a ziplock bag so they stay together. After that, all the zip lock bags go into a bin like this...(I have 3 bins to hold my listening center books)
from Really Good Stuff
These bins are right in my listening center; however, I pull out the books that go with our theme and put them into a bin like this...
Really Good Stuff
that goes right next to their headphones. These are the ones I would like for students to listen to first.
5. How do you feel about listening response sheets? What will they look like?
I use listening response sheets. Sometimes I create ones that go with specific books and other times I just use a generic response sheet. I have 2 options at the center and they are labeled with pictures (hearts and butterflies are my lower level and frogs and apples are my middle and high students). This way the students know which one they have to complete. I don't always have the students complete response sheets. Sometimes it is just 'free listening' and they can choose book after book :) My response sheets that I have used in the past are free if you click HERE!

6. How can this station be differentiated to meet the various learning profiles, interests and/or readiness of your students?
Like I mentioned above, I do use different response sheets for different students. Also, by allowing the students to choose what book they listen to and to choose where they sit is a way of differentiating this center :)

Read to Someone

1. Why should students be reading to someone?
I agree with the sisters, reading to someone helps students read independently and grow as readers. They are able to hear their peers read and learn from them (which sometimes is the best way to learn!) They also love being with their friends- because of this they enjoy this time! They concentrate on the task at hand, the classroom seems to be quieter, they motivate each other, and they are having fun! One of my favorite things is to overhear students helping each other sound out words or learn new words!
2. How can your students EEKK?
In the past I have only allowed my students to EEKK in our classroom library. Our classroom library has great chairs, a big carpet, stuffed animals, and is pretty spacious and cozy (I have a huge room). But, that is also because I was doing centers differently and wasn't doing the Daily 5. This year, I am going to allow them to EEKK anywhere they feel comfortable in the room. This all goes back to giving the students 'choice'.
3. How can your students read to someone and how will you need to model these ways with your students?
I will allow my students to read to someone in all the ways that the book explains; however, I will only model these to them one at a time. This way they fully understand how to read to someone in one way before moving on to another way. I always start out with I Read, You Read because it really helps the students to hear their partner read a page first. This way they can pick up on the sentence structure, the pace, etc. (just my opinion)  :)
4. What is one thing you have done with partner reading that ensures the success of your students?
Model, model, model and anchor chart, anchor chart, anchor chart! haha I involve the students in making the anchor charts and we write down the guidelines of partner reading. I also call it a promise and have the students sign the anchor chart. This way when they are not modeling a correct behavior I pull the class together, we model the correct behavior, and we refer back to our class promise. I love it and so do the kids!


I have started to make little readers that my students will include in their book bins. They will use their book bins during Read to Self and Read to Someone. I have also decided to introduce these readers to my students through the pocket chart center. I am looking forward to this :) Here is an example...


Don't forget to link up your D5 posts with Mary and Marsha :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm in school to be a teacher and I adore your blog. I plan to implement the daily five into my future classroom, so these posts are super helpful and informative. Thank you for sharing this with lots of details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wireless headphones!!!! I seriously LOVE those. Thanks for linking up with us.
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up! I want to hear all about the wireless headsets too! Where are they from? Battery operated? I may look into a purchase!

    Mary
    Sharing Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love my wireless headphones. I use them for my interactive whiteboard.

    Angela

    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wireless headphones! A solution to my pet peeve of cords everywhere! Your readers look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been so great with your ideas...If you can give me some advice on the daily 5, because this will be my first time using it in the classroom...I've read the book and I'm following along with the blogs...I just want to make sure I'm ready for this...do I start right away with the daily 5 or wait a few weeks...
    You are awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I thought I was already following you, but I guess not! Don't worry I am now though!!! =) Love your cute little slice of cyberspace!

    Ginger Snaps

    ReplyDelete